Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

This is an older book but a good book. I had read this a couple of years ago, but I didn't read it with the mind of a teacher.  At my school, Ender's Game is used as a 10th grade English book, and I hadn't thought of it as a book that would be more than a book for entertainment, since then I have changed my mind.  A student of mine that enjoys discussing books while reading them, but struggles with reading comprehension and the discussion seems to help.  I started reading it a little bit after she did, but she has a lot more time than I and she ended up finishing it in a weekend.  Which does say a lot, a girl that doesn't really read a lot finishes it in a weekend.  So now that I was reading it by myself, I had time to pay attention to what I like to call the "teacher things." It has a lot of great themes, great vocabulary words, and good for reading comprehension. I highly recommend it for other teachers to use in their classes.
I do enjoy this book.  It is very well written and definitely holds your attention. It is a great book for boys especially because of the war centered themes.  It is also a great book because readers can get started on this book and read the others in the series.  I haven't read any of the other ones in the series, but I am now looking forward to reading them soon.

Finally, what else am I reading? I am reading Richard III in preparation for the Shakespeare class I am co-teaching this summer.  I am also hoping to start The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen.  My next post will be about the book that I have been listening to and just finished as well: My Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.  Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |